Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Scouting the Marlins

Marlins 3rd game just started and we have our first look at Volstad this season

Chris Volstad has some absurd movement on that fastball. Good downward plane and armside run on the heater and it is legit 91-94. I am not a big fan of stadium guns or brodcasted speeds. But the same gun that has Volstad today has Daniel Cabrera at 90-93, so I would say he is throwing well. He has a get me over curve he throws for strikes and then and overhand hammer for the strikeout. His changeup is 85-86 though and that is a little hard but it has a little sink and fade on it.
If he starts to command them better he is going to be the 2nd best pitcher on that staff.

Dont get me started on Josh Johnson, he could win the Cy Young someday.

1 comment:

  1. This is the same Marlins team owned by Loria?
    It KILLS me to see them succeed with his money hungry, "give me a handout" way. Although, I have to pay HUGE amounts of respect for their scouting staff and minor league system. It's not like they have had the same benefits as Tampa by being the worst team every year. They are able to excel from building on mediocrity. I'm sure the Royals, Jays, Orioles, Rangers, Pirates, Reds and Padres would all love to change management with them.

    ReplyDelete